GBMD: The gardener's prayer


I'm still clearing out mum's house and deciding which possessions should go to her room at the nursing home and whether I'd like to keep anything for old times sake. I seem to remember this large mug came from my nan and grandad's house.

Dad was a founder member of Birmingham Organic Gardeners and was always laughing at the resultant three letter acronym. Going through the reams of old papers my mum stashed away I came across BOG's committee meeting minutes from 20 years ago. The October ones revealed his intention to invite me to give a talk in my previous capacity as Science and Education Officer at Earthwatch. He never did because he died the next month.

Look closely at the words and illustration and you'll see why I've chosen this photo for today's post. Thanks for the giggle dad (and grandad!).

Comments

  1. Brilliant! Something I'm always hoping here too. Love that your dad was a founder member of the Birmingham Organic Gardeners, well done him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful cup!
    Hope you are having a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great memento VP. The business of house clearance involves some bittersweet moments and so many memories. I wonder just how much work the gentleman depicted on the mug has put into the proceedings :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project