Garden Bloggers' Blooms Day: A new clematis on the blog

Clematis urophylla 'Winter Beauty' on my pergola
From a large pot nearby and now clothing my side garden's pergola, this Clematis brings a welcome to my garden 

My new clematis on the blog C. urophylla 'Winter Beauty' has bucked the Sleep Creep Leap trend by flowering within a mere 18 months instead of 3 years. I love its white simplicity and vigorous growth.

The flowers are quite small (like most at this time of the year - see this Garden Bloggers' Muse Day offering), but they're still welcome. Who can resist those cheekily upturned petals? The flowers are reputed to be scented - I need a few more blooms before I can confirm that. The evergreen leaves resemble those of Clematis armandii, though I'm having more success with 'Winter Beauty' than the latter, as I've managed to kill two of them already.

Most of the flowers dropped off before I could photograph them, which makes me wonder whether the catalogue blurb "Plant Clematis 'Winter Beauty' against a warm house wall so that you can appreciate its winter flowers from your window. This sought after variety will appreciate a sheltered site with some winter protection", means my chosen site is not quite protected enough.

However, these latest flowers are still going strong after the past few days of cold weather and a sprinkling of snow. In time, I hope this clematis will prove a good alternative winter white.

Garden Bloggers' Muse Day is hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens.

Update 17/2: We've had ding-dong temperatures and some quite long dry spells this winter, so this tweet from Gardeners' Question Time today may point to the reason for my fallen flowers rather than my speculation re its site, especially as mine is in a pot. Great choice of clematis featured in the photo!




Comments

  1. That is GORGEOUS! Needless to say, it was added to my must-have list before I had got to the end of your first line. Evergreen foliage and the potential whiff of scent meant a speedy rise to the top of the must-have list. So much for not leaping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!
    Lovely!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. She's a beauty all right..

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful clematis, but not hardy enough for my garden. Thanks for sharing it for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your beautiful clematis!

    Greetings, Sofie #26
    http://sofiecreates.blogspot.be/2017/02/garden-bloggers-bloom-day-february-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like her :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous clematis..the petals look thick and sturdy, also beautiful against the deep green of the leaves.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project