GBBD: Buds of Hope


This week's winter chills have served to lay much in my garden low over the past few days. However, this morning's milder weather and bright sunshine tempted me outside to see what's what. It's heartening to see many of the drooping plants (including the fennel I showed you yesterday) are bouncing back and turning their leaves towards the sun for whatever warmth they can glean from its wintry rays.

There aren't any blooms to show you, but at least there are plenty of buds of hope like the pictured Helleborus 'Winter Moonbeam'. Whilst its partner plant has nearly 20 fat buds on display, I've chosen this picture because I like the contrast of the fresh green leaf. We may be only a week away from winter's darkest night, but it's comforting to know that nature is planning to bounce back whenever it gets the chance.

Elsewhere in the garden, the cyclamen are also sporting fresh new buds and it looks like once again the snowdrops may be out before Christmas. The daffodils are beginning to push their noses through the soil: they may not be as advanced as their Cornish cousins, but it's great to see them there. I don't know why, but I always feel my bulbs are never going to come back. It's rather reassuring the seasonal rhythms are still in force, without the need for intervention on my part.

Garden Bloggers' Blooms Day is hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens.

PS I have my first proper grown-up article in The Guardian today. They've also made it available online. Needless to say I'm chuffed again and I'll be telling you more about it on Monday :)

Comments

  1. Hello, lovely to see your Winter Moonbeam on its way up, my Hellebores are also sprouting but no proper flower buds yet, think it has been too cold lately - no Christmas rose for Christmas then for me! But I have roses in blooms still :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gardens hold so much hope. I always am delighted when daffodils push up some leaves with a promise of Spring buds, too.

    Happy Bloom Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most notable buds in my garden are on the rhododendrons. I have to remember to buy some new deer repellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a cheery and promising sight. A ' proper grown - up article' in the Gruniand - oh well done you! I'm off for a read :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Congrats on your first "proper" Guardian article! I love hellebore buds, so defiantly plump. Weird about the bulbs, isn't it. I always get a little burst of relief when I see them poking their heads up again. Even more, I am relieved to see shoots from newly planted bulbs, it is always such an act of faith that such unpromising obejects turn into such beautiful Spring flowers. A bit like planting bare-rooted maiden trees, you never quite believe they will turn in to "real" trees until they are suddenly taller than you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the article...I am amazed to hear of snowdrops and daffs blooming or growing before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi everyone - glad you like these fat Hellebore buds. They really cheer up a winter's day. Thanks also for your good wishes re The Guardian

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project