ABC Wednesday 5: Q is for...

...Quirky

My blog is often described as quirky and I take that as a real compliment: it's probably the best way I'd like you to think about Veg Plotting. But what does quirky actually mean? The Free Dictionary defines quirk (pronounced kwurk) as:
  1. A peculiarity of behavior; an idiosyncrasy: "Every man has his own quirks and twists" (Harriet Beecher Stowe).
  2. An unpredictable or unaccountable act or event; a vagary: a quirk of fate.
  3. A sudden sharp turn or twist.
  4. An equivocation; a quibble.
  5. Architecture - a lengthwise groove on a moulding between the convex upper part and the soffit.
It goes on to cite Collins Thesaurus' alternatives for the adjective quirky as:
odd, unusual, eccentric, idiosyncratic, curious, peculiar, unpredictable, rum (Brit. slang), singular, fanciful, whimsical, capricious, offbeat, out there (slang) We've developed a reputation for being quite quirky and original.
Well, perhaps I can't fulfill definition number 5, but I aim to do something with 1-4 and all those Thesaurus options ;)
Seeing quirky means unpredictable, perhaps the ABC Wednesday meme can be described in the same way? Hop on over to today's contributors and see what you think.

Comments

  1. Quite right VP - quirky describes the very quintessence of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that word, it has a great sound and it if fun to say. I love your blog VP, you are like a tutor to me I learn so many great thing by reading your blog regulary.

    Tyra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose my blog's a little quirky, too. Mostly because I can't commit to a single theme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surely being an allotmenteer means that you have to be somewhat quirky! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, quirky is a good word and you are right to think of your blog that way. In fact, I'd say, quirky is excellent, just like Veg Plotting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like quirky!! Quirky is good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever use of the word an all the definitions. Stop by and see my quirk quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quirky is a worthy goal, which you clearly have achieved. I'm aiming for eccentric myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quirky is good for blogs! And other things as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi everyone - I suppose an awful lot of bloggers are rather quirky, particularly if they post on just about anything!

    Thanks for your comments and compliments everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think "quirky" also suggests interesting, which your blog always is, VP!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Rose and BTW MMD, I like the look of eccentric too - perhaps that's why we like each other's blogs?

    ReplyDelete

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project